Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Spreadsheets

I have just been reading Terry Freedman's post on spreadsheets.



I was so pleased to see someone voicing my thoughts.







The spreadsheet above was used for children to check their tables, there are different worksheets for each one.
I love spreadsheets for all sorts of things - I make many that can be used in all sorts of ways.





This idea is simple and can be used in any curriculum area. It uses a if/then statement, it changes the red sad face to a smiling green one and gives the user their score.












In this example the user has to solve the problems in order to uncover the hidden graphic.








I have found some ideas like this to be really useful and fun to use in the classroom. Many children then want to learn to make these themselves - learning in an authentic and meaningful context.
In our pre-service teacher training we do not use spreadsheets with our students in any way. It is such a shame I think as they are so great and versatile for the classroom. The thinking by many people is that 'spreadsheets are old hat, no one uses them any more'. I wonder if others agree with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment